Monday, May 5, 2008

Arcade Fire/ Superchunk Obama rally

About two weeks ago I read about the plan for Superchunk and Arcade Fire to play a concert at the Carrboro Farmer's Market to help support Barack Obama's presidential bid. Despite not having made up our minds about who we really want in the White House come January 20th, we decided to go. I mean it's the Arcade Fire. That's all.  Of course there were some strings attached. First we had to WAIT IN LINE to get the tickets, which were free.  That meant that 1) we had to get up early to go hang out in Carrboro, and 2) people who weren't fans of either the Arcade Fire or Superchunk were there getting tickets just for the hell of it. I would have rather paid for the tickets and slept in. But we survived the process. I very much love the fact that when I need tickets to a concert I can get online and buy them in a matter of (usually) minutes. I don't have to go camp out in front of a freaking Macy's or the like, with who knows what kind of people. I remember waiting in line for tickets to see the Smashing Pumpkins in 1996, and since then (I think) we've been doing the online thing.   ANYWAY...Obama's people were late, and we had to deal with some pretty irritating people. But I guess anytime me and Michele have to deal with the general population, especially a mass of people, we tend to get pretty irritated. So last Friday we attended the concert, and it was good. Superchunk came on at about 2:15, and played for about 45 minutes. Then the Arcade Fire came on pretty swiftly afterwards. We were appreciative towards them because they didn't take forever to set up. They were all pretty much out there setting out their own equipment - sort of unusual. But it made for a nice quick transition, and since I was roasting my chest I was happy. I managed to take some pretty decent pictures, and they sounded really good. I could tell that they weren't in touring mode, because they weren't as tight as I've seen them, but because they're so good, they're still above and beyond most.

This weekend is Radiohead!!! Friday and Sunday! I am so excited, but in a very conservative way, if that makes sense. I love them so much, but I know my tendency to fall into wacko mode concerning all things I'm holding back. At least for now. I don't have the energy for months of obsessing...and I realize it's not healthy. I know that I'm going to see them, and even if I had to sit in my car in the parking lot of the venue, I'd still be a changed woman for having heard them. Of course I'd slit my wrists thinking of what the experience could have been, but nevertheless...we have general admission tickets. I plan on getting there early and not drinking much at all. So I think we'll be ok. I love them. They are so awesome live!

So aside from going to see the show on Friday, we went to the Embassy Suites to visit with my parents...had drinks and pizza. Then we came home and went to bed. They ended up coming over the next day for a visit. I gave my mom her mother's day present, they ate lunch and delivered our requested items from Costco. We did some laundry, planted some of our vegetables, and then came in pooped. We watched Man vs. Nature, and then went out to do a little shopping. First Walmart. Yeah. I got some magazines there because they had coupons for free deodorant. Coupons that I could use to make money at CVS. We also got some pots to put some of our plants in. Then we went to CVS and got some sweet deals. I paid about $2.00 out of pocket for three bags of chex mix, a toothbrush, two cans of cashews, some toothpaste, a facial scrub, and some deodorant. Then I MADE back about $8.00 in extra care bucks, on top of what I already had. So I was happy with that. It was kind of stressful because we were there around closing time, and next week's sale were already up and they didn't have a current circular. So we had to kind of go from memory. But all in all it was a good trip. Then we went to Chipotle and had dinner. Yum.
Yesterday we got up and had breakfast, and then came upstairs to look at career paths for me. I guess I am trying to decide what to do. I mean I have been at home now for about 7 months. I can't say that I am bored, I just don't feel like I'm doing anything, big picture-wise. And it would be nice to have more money, not that we're not ok. We spent a good while up here and still don't have a specific plan, but the ball's rolling I guess. We went to Michele's mom's house for a visit. We got some of our stuff that had been in storage there. We wanted to get some of the stuff because we cleaned out our attic area and would just feel safer having it with us. And then stuff like the picture albums we wanted to get because they're deteriorating, especially after years of being in sticky albums and more recently in hot storage areas. So that's going to be a process....going through them and making the transition to new, better albums. Hell, just removing them from the ones they're in will be a great help.
Well today's a lovely'd be a shame not to go out and experience it somewhat.
Peace out.

No comments: